Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sea Fever



I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song

and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face,

and a grey dawn breaking.

..
I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume,

and the sea-gulls crying.

..
I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way

where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream

when the long trick's over.

..

~ Sea Fever By John Masefield (1878 -1967)

No comments:

Post a Comment