Saturday, March 24, 2012

Extremely Loud,Incredibly Close,Carpe Momento.


On one fine night this week I watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close based on the book by Jonathan Safran Foer.It's been ages I was waiting for the movie to get released.Like it's the rarest where you will have the chance to watch two amazingly heart-winning-actors in a single movie.I so badly wanted another movie of Tom hanks after Larry Crowne.He's turned old,but every time he opens up,I remember "Life is a box of chocolates".And Sandy,I am like head over heels about her.And this time they introduced Oskar.
 Feeling my heart break for his heartbreak, and crying my eyes out over the love, the pain, the loss, the confusion and the beauty of this story.I totally had so high expectation and I believe it met it.And specially for a movie which made you cry is of course a 8.5 imdb rated one.

The thing that touched me the most about the movie, which is a slightly {and maybe surprisingly} less prevalent point in the book, is how short life is. 
Sometimes we wait too long to make our lives as beautiful as we want them to be. We put things first like work and money and responsibility, which are essential to surviving, but somehow not to living,and that's an important distinction.
And there lies the rub, doesn't it? We put so much off for the sake of work and money and our careers, so we can live in a house, eat food every night and put clothes on our backs, but when the swiftness of our final scene fades to black, there's always that feeling that those things didn't matter. They shouldn't have come first, and the contradictions are endless:
All that after-movie-voices inside my head CARPE DIEM ANXIETY.

How much carpe should my diem consist of? 
Well,I have no idea.
But, what I try to do and am constantly reminding myself to do, is to find a little joy in every day. Something small or simple to be absolutely in love over. 

Strolling on the roadside and looking around how people are busy,sending an appreciation mail and getting one,makes me pause for a minute to smile like a dork to myself, in the middle of my super busy day.
I hope it's enough.
I hope it always lasts.
I hope that when my time comes, I will look back at those little simple sweet moments, and feel like I lived a good life, a life I enjoyed and made the most of in whatever ways possible. 

Bob Dylan said "Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast".
So I think you have to find little ways of slowing down the blur, even if you can't always make big gestures every day, like skipping work or going on a 6 month vacation through your home town. You can still enjoy a talk over phone with your parents or a help to the lady nearby or a quiet night with a good movie that makes you cry like a baby. 

I can't deal with all this Carpe Diem. I prefer to Carpe Momento.Seize the moment, and make the very most of it.
“So many people enter and leave your life!  Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in!  But it also means you have to let them go!”

No comments:

Post a Comment