Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Old Man & The Sea


"The clouds were building up now for the trade wind and he looked ahead and saw a flight of wild ducks etching themselves against the sky over the water, then blurring, then etching again and he knew no man was ever alone on the sea."
-The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway

You know what today is! Well not Diwali. But why does he pop up in my mind. It's been October 1992 Diwali,my Grandpa left me.I was still talking to him while travelling.He was there motionless and almost gone to another world in the car.I thought he would wake up and yell at me for distorting his well-managed coiffure.And of course unlimited story of fishing at the bay side and bringing aayi's hand made milk-pedas.


One  particular saturday,I had my school off.We,at the river-side screaming,fishing,counting the number of fishes we caught.


Me: Why do you call me Andakhai, aaja?


Him: Cause you always have one of those in breakfast. Be it chicken's or be it fish's,Don't you?


Me: But why do call Di Mendhakhai(Sheep-eater) then? She does not eat any of those?


Him: Well,it rhymes with you.Though she's a resemblance with mutton-eater.So I derived.


[I,busy in thinking how valid the point is.]


Him: Now you can be a crab-eater. We got many of those this turn.


Me: Aayi's gonna make my day.[Running away back home..]


20 Years since then and I still feel like missing country-side-fishing with Aaja.

Memories. They don't die.

No comments:

Post a Comment